Ex Migori Governor Okoth Obado is pleading with the High Court to pronounce a lenient sentence, including a non-custodial term, following his conviction for the murder of Sharon Otieno.
In a pre-sentence social inquiry report tabled before the court this morning, Obado cited his age, health condition, and the lengthy period it took to conclude the case as reasons the court should exercise leniency.
During interviews with probation officers, Obado maintained that he did not participate in Sharon’s murder, despite acknowledging that the two had been in an intimate relationship.
He told the officers that while he respected the court’s verdict, he disagreed with the finding that he was involved in Sharon’s death.
Obado also expressed remorse over Sharon’s death and said he remained willing to support her family and pursue reconciliation .Obado has no previous criminal convictions.
He cited his health, with the report noting that he suffers from hypertension and had complained of pain around his left shoulder.
The former governor also told probation officers that he was prepared to take responsibility for Sharon’s pregnancy after the birth of the child and a DNA test.
He acknowledged that he had entrusted Oyamo with handling matters involving Sharon, including linking up with her.
In a notable development, Sharon’s family told probation officers that they had no objection to Obado being considered for a lenient sentence.
The family cited the support he has continued to provide to them and welcomed reconciliation efforts.
They further asked that Obado be allowed to honour promises and pledges he had made to Sharon’s parents, saying this would help ease the economic difficulties they have faced since her death.
The High Court will consider the probation report alongside the victim impact statement and submissions by the prosecution and defence before determining the appropriate sentence.
The matter is expected to be heard on September 16, 2026.

